Thursday, 11 February 2010

All the way from Wales

Our new sofa arrived today - specially made in South Wales by SofaSofa.  It's not quite as long as the freebie we had before, but it fits in well.  The dog likes it....  It was delivered by two young Welsh guys, who were very efficient.  'Hope the rugby goes better for you on Saturday,' I said.  'We don't talk about it unless we win,' he said.  So I carried on.  'Shame about Alun Wyn Jones.'  'Stupid.  Right in front of the referee's nose.  And he's been selected again for this weekend when someone who played well has been dropped!'  We agreed it was disgusting.  Well, hope they do better this weekend.


  1. Sorry about this - nothing to do with sofas or rugger but I wanted to get it to you.

    We are familiar with the repatriation to the UK of the bodies of our service men and women killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are flown into RAF Lyneham and, after a private funeral service there for family and friends, taken by road to the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. At various places along the route people gather to pay their respects as the cortege passes. As I had learned that there was to be a Repatriation today I obtained the following details from the Defence Academy here in Shrivenham: WO2 David Markland (36 Engineer Regiment), Corp. Johnathan Moore and Pte. Sean McDonald (1 Scots); Flypast over Wootton Bassett 11am, Family Service 12 noon, Cortege leaves RAF Lyneham at about 1.30pm, then passes through Wootton Basset, Gable Cross Police Station (A420), B4000 (Bridge over A420), UK Defence Academy (A420), Faringdon Folly Lay-by (A420) - then on to Oxford, passing St Anthony of Padua RC Church at the JR Hospital. As the B4000 bridge is only about a quarter-mile from home I decided to go along and join about half-a-dozen others who had gathered there to pay their respects at the approximate time the cortege was expected (around 2.30pm).
    At about 3pm a lone police motorcyclist came along with blue light flashing, followed by another about 200yds behind, then a police car, then three hearses with coffins draped with the Union Flag, then an unmarked car and a final police car. As the procession approached, all the traffic on the opposite side of the road came to a standstill until the cortege had passed. It was an incredibly moving experience - indeed, I broke down recounting it to Carol and even now have a lump in my throat.

    BEF : 12.02.2010

  2. Thank you, Brian. May I put it on the blog itself? It brings the cost home - and the men's courage, doesn't it? It's just on the news now.

  3. It's your blog - I just feel guilty at invading it!