Tuesday 9 June 2009

Perspective

It's nice to be back home again. The new kitchen is almost finished, and is a distinct improvement on the old one. There are one or tweaks needed, but, as Jane said, having listened to the world news this morning, they really don't matter. That's another thing about being back here: having access to DAB radio and the BBC World Service. I switched to it this morning because I was so fed up with the insularity of domestic radio. On came Shell's court settlement about human rights' abuse in the Niger Delta, a harrowing report of the dire state of terror in Zimababwe (You thought it was all over? Not a bit of it.) and a rather different view of Iran from the politically slanted one we normally hear - a vibrant society where surprisingly 'normal' life goes on. I suppose it was Zimbabwe which really struck home. Oh yes, Gordon Brown's meeting with the PLP got a mention, but it was in perspective. I'm going to listen to more World Service and less UK parochialism, I trust.

By the way, I must congratulate my Dutch friends on their cricket team's victory over England in the 20/20 World Series on Friday. Cricket never struck me as Holland's sport. And on Sunday, Roger Federer achieved his goal of winning all four of the Grand Slam tournaments. I love watching him, because he's such a beautiful stroke-player and so focused, and so emotional when he wins. You know that tennis is more than a profession for him; it's a passion. I think talk of his being 'the greatest of all time' is fairly fatuous. You can't make comparisons from different eras. But it's certainly a pleasure to watch him now.

1 comment:

  1. Today had an excellent, though harrowing, piece on Zimbabwe this morning. Perhaps the same one you heard.

    You might enjoy David Foster Wallace's article on Federer.

    ReplyDelete