Saturday 19 June 2010

Creativity all over

There's a very unpromising spot in the front of our house which faces north and gets no sun. However Jane's got these magnificent foxgloves to flourish there, and they greet me every time I hobble up the ramp on her arm.                                                                
And in the back garden there's a riot of colours, including this rose which we planted last year. It's called Freedom.... With a limited canvas Jane's quite an horticultural artist, I reckon.
Meanwhile this week I have held in my hand the first prepublication copy of I Choose Everything - Embracing life in the face of terminal illness. As you might expect and detect, I'm pleased with the final result. The publishers have done a good job. Personally, I think it's better produced than My Donkeybody. (You'll have to decide for yourself on the content!) Which reminds me. I had my appointment with my consultant, Dr Donaghy, on Tuesday. He was pleased with how I'm doing. He pointed out just how slow my PLS is. Although it falls under the MND umbrella, it is unusual in progressing so slowly. Jozanne has a much more typical form, by contrast. She had her diagnosis in 2005 and has lost all independence now. however she has not lost her faith - quite the reverse in fact. Which is why her part at least of I Choose Everything is so inspiring. You can order it now on line, or better, if you can get to it, come to the UK book launch at Cornerstone Café in Grove (2 - 4 pm Saturday 10th July) and buy a signed copy there!
I realise how lucky, or blessed, I am in so many ways: in the slowness of my MND, in having Jane to care for me, a family to support us, a faith community (near and far) to pray for and sustain us. We went to see M, a friend with more advanced MND than me this week. She is on her own and depends entirely on carers - and it's just not the same. You really are vulnerable in that situation.

Yesterday we went into Oxford to see Rycotewood's end of year furniture exhibition. We particularly wanted to see the work of Pete Beckley, whom we've got to know through church. He'd told us about the designs he'd produced, but you don't get an idea into you see them in the flesh. His main pieces were an executive screen and a lounge-bar table for Douglas House (the hospice for young adults). 

Jane admires the executive screen.

The bar table which enables someone in a wheelchair to sit and chat with someone at normal level.



The detail of the table is beautiful.
The designer, Pete, explaining the finer points of the screen to an interested on-looker.








So watch out for Pete Beckley, first-class award-winning furniture maker! His trade name is Pixel Furniture (pete.beckley@sky.com). He also was showing a pair of 'Quad' chairs, combining wood and polypropylene. I don't suppose his furniture comes cheap, but then real craftsmanship is not mass-production.

I suppose the theme of this post has been the amazing gift of creativity which so enriches life. I think that it's part of being made 'in God's image'. God has given us richly all things to enjoy. Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment