Monday 25 October 2010

A great day

Today we had a brilliant afternoon out. We were due to be meeting our friend, Elizabeth Berner, to whose husband, Tim, I dedicated I Choose Everything. He had MND for 20 years. He inspired me with the conviction that terminal illness is not a curse but even a blessing - a severe one admittedly. But we're certainly not victims. That has really helped me. Anyway, we'd arranged to meet at The High Table on the High Street in Oxford. http://www.thehightableoxford.co.uk/
So Jane and I drove in and, miraculously, found the last disabled parking space in the centre. Someone was just driving out of it. It was a clear crisp day, with bright blue skies shining on the mellow gold Oxford stone of the colleges. Getting in to the restaurant was a bit of comical struggle. Jane and a waitress heaved the wheelchair, and then a passing young man offered to help - and in I went. Soon Elizabeth walked in and we ordered our meal.

The food was excellent; the service was delightful; but what made the meal was just being with someone who exactly knew what we're going through, as she and Tim had been there before. So I could pass on some of my salad to Jane and Elizabeth. She was tuned in to me and understood what I was getting at. We talked about families, teaching, Shakespeare, faith, her time at Oxford, as well as incidentally illness. And it was just a really lovely time.

Life isn't bad, is it?

3 comments:

  1. An interesting concept in your first paragraph. 'a severe blessing'

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderfully positive note on which to end! "When you have thanked your God for every blessing sent..." etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a perfect Oxford October day!

    ReplyDelete